When Eating Out All through Your Travels

We bought a ship!

Posted by Sean

CRUISEOk, more precisely, we have a contract to buy a boat, which is subject to our acceptance upon survey and sea trial. This week has been a whirlwind of exercise, and I’m exhausted. I am taking in the present day off from any visits or meals out, and after I have had an opportunity to catch up on the blog and electronic mail I’d get around to some initiatives across the house.

I’m not completely positive what possessed us to make an offer on a boat the Monday earlier than Thanksgiving. We have been ruminating about this boat for several months; we first seen it available on the market in July, just ten days after it was listed, and we rented a automobile to go see it. As I wrote right here at the time, it was priced too excessive for us to essentially consider it, but we put it on the watch list, knowing the value would possibly properly come down after it had sat unsold for a few months. Certain enough, less than three months later, the seller dropped the worth 10%. Nonetheless not the place we wanted it to be, although, so we decided to wait and see if one other worth discount could be in store, leaving open the likelihood that it could be bought out from under us.

We were Ok with that, because this boat was not really the boat of our goals, however still a superb compromise that ticked off almost every check-field on our should-have list. Importantly, it is the newest of all the boats we’ve seen, at slightly below ten years outdated. In the ensuing months, the boat continued to grow on us, and a number of other buddies in the boating group steered strongly that rather than await a worth drop, we should simply make our greatest offer whenever we had been prepared. The pondering being that the seller might properly turn us down up front, but after the boat sits unsold for another few months, with ongoing bills and the opposite pressures of life, the vendor would possibly properly name his broker again to ask, “Are these of us who made an offer still interested?”

Sitting here within the bay space for the previous six-plus weeks, checking the boat market daily, we slowly got here to the conclusion that the time was proper for a low supply to be seriously thought of. What clinched the timing, although, was learning that our technical consultant, without whose critical inspection we wouldn’t be comfy buying a one-off custom boat, was only obtainable the week of December seventeenth, or else not until February at the earliest. Even though our broker informed us there was no rhyme or purpose to the market around the holidays, we also felt that this time of yr may also make a seller more receptive to gives on a ship that had been sitting unsold for the reason that summer season. Thus it got here to move that we referred to as the broker on Saturday and asked him to write the supply. Making certain we had the deposit able to wire meant ready till Monday to submit it, and we gave the vendor till Wednesday to respond.

Frankly, I did not suppose we have been going to head into Thanksgiving with a signed contract. We provided simply 81% of the asking price, which the seller rejected Wednesday morning, countering with 94%. We informed our broker our absolute prime was 83%, and we figured it will end there, no less than until the vendor had an opportunity to sit by means of the vacation season with nary one other looker. So my jaw dropped when the broker known as me again simply 20 minutes later to say the vendor had accepted. I felt like the canine who chased after the bus, with no clue what to do as soon as he caught it.

I am positive you want to listen to extra about the boat. I can be posting many extra particulars once we’ve accepted the boat and the deal is full — regular readers will do not forget that we came very close once before, only to have the boat fall dramatically short on some technical points. Nevertheless, I’ll share here the key factors.

The boat is a one-off customized build, with a steel hull and aluminum superstructure, completed in 2003. She’s 52′ lengthy, 15′ broad, and displaces (weighs) 85,000-100,000 pounds, with a tonnage of 66 Gross, 52 Net Registered Tons. She’s propelled by a single 300 horsepower diesel driving a standard propeller and shaft ahead of a skeg-hung rudder. A bow thruster allows for easy maneuvering of the only-screw boat at the dock, and hydraulic energetic-fin stabilizers minimize rolling at sea. With 47.5 feet to the waterline and a full-displacement hull, she has an absolute high pace of 10 knots (11.5 mph), and a cruise pace of eight knots. With 3,300 gallons of diesel gas, her range at 7 knots is healthier than 6,000 nautical miles, more than sufficient to cross the Atlantic or Pacific oceans. With a draft just below 5’10”, she will be able to traverse the great Loop and make into most (but not all) of the good anchorages in the Bahamas.

Beneath decks are two staterooms, every with a queen berth (mattress) and en-suite head (bathroom). Aft of the midships master stateroom is the engine room, accessed by a full-height watertight door. On the principle level are the trendy and nicely-appointed pilothouse, the galley, and the salon. On the higher deck is a flying bridge (out of doors control station), seating space, and storage for the tender and our two scooters, with a 1,000-lb crane for loading and unloading them.

While the timing was, apparently, excellent for having our provide accepted, it might hardly be worse for practically every part else. One of many keys to having the supply accepted was a quick closing, and so we need to sea-trial the boat the week of December seventeenth, and close the deal by mid-January. In fact, the boat is on the east coast, and here we are in California.

The good news is that my cousin’s family, on whose arrival we have now been ready, will probably be here December 1st, so we’ll get a chance to spend some time with them and get them settled in to their momentary apartment — though it’s trying unlikely that the house they’re shopping for will close before we’ve to go away right here. As a part of helping them with their very disruptive transfer throughout country, I had provided to fly to New York, and drive their elderly canine to California of their car, as flying the canine in cargo was judged too risky. Absent the whole boat deal, I would have made that flight on Sunday the 2nd, arriving back right here per week later.

With surveys and sea trials planned now for the week of the 17th, we’re as a substitute occupied with parking the bus, and flying to New York together across the 14th. We’d get the canine and the car, then drive to Georgia to do the surveys, setting off for California the morning of the twentieth. That may put us back at our cousins’ house in Oakley late on Christmas day. We’d have only a couple of days, then, earlier than we would should be again on the street to make the closing mid-January. A tight schedule, to say the least.

Catching up on the last couple of weeks, we have been bouncing round the same industrial neighborhood in Menlo Park (map) since my last submit, shifting the requisite two-tenths of a mile every three days. We like it here — it is near lots of our associates, and with so many vacant buildings in the neighborhood, it’s quiet and enjoyable. I did must drive over to Trailer Villa last weekend to use their dump station, for a whopping $20. (By distinction, we may have spent the night on the Fremont Elks for simply $18, together with power, and the dump station is included.) At that worth I put every last ounce of water into the tanks that will match. Value it, though, as we solely needed to travel a mile or so round-trip from right here. Next time we’ll try Docktown marina, another exit north on 101, as I’ve heard their dump is simply five or ten dollars.

At the moment I will be working on installing WiFi and cellular amplifiers, expertise we really purchased for the eventual boat (earlier than we decided make the supply), as a result of our present satellite solution will now not be an choice. We thought we would get the gear whereas we had an excellent supply deal with here (plus access to Fry’s), and set it up on Odyssey to get some expertise with it before we would have liked it for real. Had I identified we were this close to a contact, I’d properly have waited till January.

TRAVELOver the weekend I must get cracking on discovering a marina the place we are able to park the bus nearby while we transition to the boat, and finding long-time period storage for the bus. We might really somewhat sell it than retailer it, but below a certain value, it’s worth extra to us to keep it as our occasional land-based digs than to promote it, and the market is very gentle. That said, I’ll also be writing up some listing copy, on the off probability that someone else will value the highly specialised design of Odyssey.